Monday, February 3, 2014

Southern style Breakfast- Biscuits and gravy

John loves biscuits and gravy, so this morning I decided to spoil him a bit and make him his favorite breakfast.  It was fairly quick and easy and hearing that it was the best biscuits and gravy he's ever eaten basically guarantees that I'll make it for him again.
Homemade Buttermilk biscuits and Sausage Gravy with dippy eggs

The first thing I did was take the sausage and throw it into my large cast iron skillet and let that cook up on med heat while I prepared the biscuits.

Buttermilk biscuits:

Preheat the oven to 425F.

In large mixing bowl, add 2 cups of flour, 3 teaspoons of baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and whisk together.  Because I was using powered buttermilk (it was all I had on hand at the moment) I put 4 Tablespoons of the powered buttermilk in the flour mixture at this point and whisked it together.

Next you add 1 T of cold butter and 3 T of shortening (I use the Crisco sticks for easy measuring) and cut it into the flour mixture.

Gently mix 1 cup of water in and stir until mixed, be sure to gently mix it or the biscuits can end up hard and tough.

Put the mix on a floured surface and gently pat it down until it's about an inch thick, then using a sharp cutter (or if you forgot where you put them like I did, use a sharp knife) and cut the biscuits without twisting the cutter.

Transfer to well greased baking sheet and pop it into the oven for 10 min.


They came out a nice golden color while being soft and moist in the middle.


While the biscuits were in the oven I once again turned my attention back to the gravy.
The sausage was all nice and cooked (I would pause in the biscuit making to quickly turn the sausage so it would cook all the way through and not burn) so I cut it up into crumbles and then using a slotted spoon removed the crumbles from the pan.  If you have a lot of grease in the pan drain it until you have aprox 1 Tablespoon left then mix in 1/4 cup flour and using a whisk combine the two into a fairly smooth paste.  Next step is adding 2 cups of milk and cooking the gravy over med heat, whisking it constantly so it doesn't burn or clump.  After a minute I added an additional Tablespoon of flour and continued to whisk so it was combined with no clumps.  This step takes about 5 minutes or so and you keep whisking it until it starts to thicken up.  When it gets thick, turn off the heat add a pinch of salt and about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of fresh-ground pepper, I use a lot because John loves pepper in his food. Add the sausage crumbles and the gravy is ready for the biscuits that should be done now.

John's new favourite sausage gravy



Crumble the biscuits on a plate and pour the gravy over it and breakfast is ready!


I made enough biscuits that there are enough left over to make a yummy desert with them tonight, if they last that long.

Hope you enjoy this as much as John did

Jessa

No comments:

Post a Comment