Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mexican night, chicken burritos/soft shell tacos

Tonight turned out to be a Mexican night, when I asked John how he wanted the chicken for tonight's dinner cooked he said he was in a Mexican food mood. The easiest thing for me to make that he loves to eat is my chicken with rice and salsa.

Normally I just throw the uncooked chicken breasts into the crock pot with some salsa and let it cook all day, by then end of the day the chicken just falls apart and I shred it using a fork.  As I'm doing that I have some brown rice cooking in the rice cooker and when it's all done I mix it all together. I then set out the flour tortillas, the bowl of chicken and rice, some shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream and he goes to work making the perfect taco or burrito. Total time I'm actually working on it is around 10 minutes.

Today it was more of a last minute idea so I'm cooking the chicken and salsa on the stove. It ended up taking about 30 min to cook, stirring it every few minutes to keep it from burning on the bottom, until the point where the chicken was easy to shed with a fork. Added the rice to the mix before he could figure out it wasn't his preferred white rice and we were good to go.

Every time I make this and tell him it's what we are going to have, he's hesitant, thinking that he's not going to like it. Like clockwork, once it's time to assemble the burrito/taco he's giving me a kiss and telling me I should make it more because it's one of his favorites.

I disappointed myself tonight because I couldn't find any organic tortillas that didn't have any preservatives in them and didn't have enough time to try to make any from scratch, so I ended up buying the least offensive ones at the store. I did manage to find some yummy organic salsa though, and will use that until I get a chance to make my own homemade stuff which will hopefully be soon.

One of my plans for this week is to try out some homemade tortilla recipies which I will share once I find one (or more) that I like.

Until next time,

Jessa

No comments:

Post a Comment