Saturday, January 11, 2014

New Year and a new goal to eat more naturally

Happy 2014 everyone!!

My resolution for the new year was to try to eat more healthy and to get my picky man to do the same. Last year he ended up having open heart surgery and was instructed by his doctors to start eating better. This worked for a little while, until he realized that he was drinking skim milk and other healthy things. The foods he had been eating for the previous months suddenly became gross, just because he now knows that they are good for him. So while he would eat the dinners I made for him, it was hard to sneak in junk food when I'm sitting right next to him, I discovered that he was eating McDonald's and other fast foods when I wasn't around.

A recent visit to his doctor slightly changed his mind about the way he was eating, he had gained a bit of weight and his test results were not as good as they were when he was following the diet that I had put him on.  So a compromise was born. He's now allowed to eat ground beef instead of me always substituting ground turkey, but everything he eats will now be homemade instead of store bought, which has a ton of chemicals and preservatives in it.

This became a little easier for him to follow when I had him cut the NutraSweet he always used out of his diet. Instead of using one of those packets in his beverages I told him to just use natural sugar, either white or brown sugars or even honey. After two weeks he admitted to feeling a bit better than he had been. Then next battle was over his powdered coffee-mate, which once again he had to admit that by adding regular milk instead of the powered product that he noticed that he was once again not gaining as much weight as well as feeling a bit better.  At this point he had to concede that maybe I did have a point and would listen to me a bit more without arguing as much.

After sharing with my mother my idea of cutting out all of the processed foods in our diet she encouraged me to write a blog about it so she can check up on our progress even on days that we don't get to talk, and here we are.

I hope you enjoy reading this blog and feel free to share your stories and thoughts with me as I share my thoughts, and recipes with you.

Until next time,

Jessa

No comments:

Post a Comment